6.19.2007

Sacred Places are A Happening

I didn’t miss it today. Often I do. Call it a perceptual handicap. I miss those potentially sacred moments in the “regular” of life. The mundane which does not have to feel so bland can sometimes burst to life. It opens up not because of what is happening around me but because it is A Happening and I just happened to notice. When one encounters the presence of the living God in an unexpected place it is A Happening. God is there just waiting for a notice. The space is of no matter! Any place can be held by ‘A Happening’! Any space can be a sacred place.

Where was this Happening? Burger King of all places! It was the Burger King at Seoul Station. I’m not much of a burger joint person normally but God makes no distinction. Could Burger King really be a sacred space? Vegetarians beware! Why not? There was a great hustle of people. They ate quickly to run and catch a train. But there I was in the middle, this toe head in the middle of black heads, sitting in a world shouting Korean. Yet I sat in my lone world with whisperings of English. Looking out into this foreign space scurrying around me I sat in His unexpected presence--His
Happening to me. God made the hurry and mundane of a burger joint something sacred. Drinking alone, sitting alone, thinking alone I become aware of Another. In those moments a space of hurried emptiness became full of Life.

My perceptual handicap keeps me from finding places where sacred spaces are A Happening. I know there are many out there like me. You mean I can learn to imagine, sense, discern and listen for the living God in the regular? What other sacred spaces might be there to see? Sacred spaces are A Happening.

Friday June 8,2007

2 comments:

James Diggs said...

I always thought BK was a sacred place. :)

Great post, thanks

Peace,

James

Anonymous said...

Hey, When are you leaving Korea? Where are you going when you leave? Hope just moved to KC a couple of weeks ago. Well, I hope to hear from you soon.
~Heather (Tallent) Hayman