8.30.2007

Korean Class Pictures

I spent the summer with this group of people(pictures below). Our class of 12 was composed a Canadian, a Mongolian, a guy from Bangladesh, a few people from China and some wonderful ladies from Japan. Everyone else seemed to do so well with Korean! Were they really beginners? Some were not!

I've never been on this side of language learning in this way before. I've only studied Spanish and Koine Greek! I never really practiced Spanish outside of the classroom. And we do not speak Koine Greek! It is much more fulfilling to learn a language that you are going to need to use as soon as you exit the classroom!

My classes were taught only in Korean! Korean was the common language of all the students. Learning a new language only through the medium of that language felt impossible at times. Humiliating and humbling! But it helps one develop an ear and it helps one develop a discerning quality for deciphering language meaning. Now I know what my students feel like!

10 weeks. 20 hours a week. 4 hours a day. Every class felt like a test. But it was good for me. It was one of the toughest summers ever. But I finished the class with great marks (for me). I'm grateful for some wonderful teachers and some patient classmates. I'm enjoying speaking a lot more Korean these days. However, I have a long, long, long, long way to go.





1 comment:

Monica Velez said...

i'm glad you did it...i'm glad you FINISHED~!!! =)