7.13.2010

Arriving to Uganda: Tuesday July 13

July 13-- It was smooth goings as I walked through the maze of immigration (including getting my visa) and collecting my luggage. As I walked through the doors out into the lobby and through people waiting for their arrivals I heard my name. “Julene” and there was Caleb. It has been almost 3 years since we last saw each other. We recognized each other! He introduced me to his wife Rita. When I arrived it was nearly midnight. Considering being birded by the plane out of Amsterdam I arrived in good time! It had been almost 24 hours since I left home. I had not slept but 2 hours, maybe. We got in their Landrover and drove and talked. Caleb and Rita live on the outskirts of Kampala which meant we needed to drive from Entebbe through Kampala and then north on the road towards Gulu. It was about a 90 minute drive. The air in Kampala was dusty and dirty and as we left Kampala and entered its outskirts the air changed. You could see the stars. We arrived to their home around 2am. I was shown to a room to sleep. Tonight I slept in a village in Uganda. It is amazing how in the morning one can wake up in the USA and go to sleep in Uganda the following night.

No comments: