7.14.2010

Uganda Day 1: Wednesday July 14

July 14--Today I learned more about the life that Caleb and Rita are living. They are a couple that has rich courage and deep hearts. They are living out a life so radically spilled out for God. They have committed themselves to taking in kids that have been abandoned or orphaned. I had forgotten that Caleb spent many years on the streets himself. He has an amazing story about how he went from being on the street, getting himself educated and eventually taking in kids of his own. Caleb and Rita are not running an “orphanage”. When I frist heard what Caleb was going in 2007 this was my first impression. Yet he and Rita are not running an orphanage! Caleb and Rita are creating a family. They have an ever enlarging family. I asked how many kids they have. They explained that in Uganda people do not count kids. They have many!

In the day light I was able to see their home. There are several buildings on the compound. There is the parent’s home and the kid’s home. There is a bathroom (pit latrine) and kitchen. The facility was completed sometime in May or June. So the family is still getting used to their new residence. They are working at developing the land so that they will be self-sustaining when it comes to food. The life they are undertaking requires so many resources! I’m not sure how they are doing it but God has been faithful to their courage. It occurred to me that Caleb and Rita is not just “in ministry” which is often how I’ve talked about what I do. They are living a certain kind of life--a life of ever enlarging hospitality.

Caleb taught me something pretty profound today. When he shared a part of his story, a story I hope one day he will have the opportunity to tell, he talked about the importance of giving belonging over giving charity. He has known well the struggle of few resources. But he helped me see that even when resources are lacking that we can always help others feel like they belong. His mission as I’m only just beginning to understand it is to help kids who haven’t belonged to anyone feel like they belong. We don’t have to have a lot of money, enough food, or anything but we can create a space in our lives that help others feel like they are a part of something. Thanks Caleb for this profound lesson that I’ve seen so clearly through the way you and Rita are living your lives together. Thanks for helping me know that I belonged with you!

In the morning I met some of the younger kids. They were shy but it didn’t last long. We left for Kampala before I could spend any time with them. As we drove towards town we stopped by the school where some of their kids go. They came up to see mom and dad (and the musing friend in the car). There was a clear sense of belonging! In Kampala Caleb and Rita helped me with some important essentials--exchanging money, setting up a cell phone and buying “safe” drinking water. I really enjoyed being with them and learning more about the life they are living. They helped me understand some about the Ugandan culture, how they come by kids who are in need, and how they work with kids in the process of welcoming them into their family. They have learned so much over the years about how best to help especially those kids who have spent time living on the street to adjust to non-street life. Caleb and Rita showed me two of their other homes. They have “half-way” houses. One is for girls and the second is for girls. These homes are for kids who are just coming off of the streets. Caleb shared the importance of creating space to help kids become kids again. These initial residences give the kids a chance to choose a non-street life. And it helps them learn how to be a part of a household. I’m sure Caleb would say it does a whole lot more than all of this too!

Later on we returned to their home and I spent the rest of the evening with the kids. I had a blast! We played catch with a soccer ball. Wherever I sat some of the kids joined me. The little ones competed for the space on my lap. I don’t consider myself a kid person. However, how could I not be here! I attempted to teach the younger kids English words for body parts and colors. Ha…I worked harder than they did. They would just repeat what I was saying. The older kids knew most of these words. The smallest kids found great fascination with my skin and my hair. You could see they just wanted to touch me and see if it was like them but different. If I were them and the situation was reversed-meaning I was a Muzungu child with an solo African adult I’m sure I’d react the very same way!! Differences are fascinating!

Earlier in the day Caleb had made a point of telling me that in the evening the girls at home would teach me how to bathe Ugandan style. I guess they have experienced other westerners who didn’t know how to use a basin for washing. I’ve backpacked…camped….and not had showers before. I figured I knew what to expect. At the end of the day the mentor ladies-or the “Aunties” of the home-- asked if I wanted to take a bath. Of course! It had been 3 days! I’m not sure yet how to describe how I felt about the experience that followed. Exposing. Connecting. Nerve wracking. Embarrassing. Comforting. The ladies prepared warm water in a basin. They made sure I had a towel. When I showed them my camping size towel (the size of a dish towel) they laughed. It was at this point I realized something wasn’t going to go the way I expected. Sure enough! They took me to the side of the house and there under the moon and stars the HELPED me bathe. Later when I told Caleb and even shared how surprised I was that we bathed outside he laughed (a compassionate laugh) and said something like, “they are making you Ugandan”. All I can say is thank you Korea for teaching me to enjoy the bath house. Korea, Uganda, has one up on you! They bathe together outside in the dark and in the open.” I actually don’t think they do normally just when they have a Muzungo to initiate into the family. Well at least I feel initiated into their community. In a deeper way after my bathing experience tonight I feel like I belong.

No comments: